Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Tribute

This is a tribute to a magazine that made up most of my childhood and teen years. “YOUNG TIMES – CELEBRATING THE SPIRIT OF YOUTH” by Khaleej Times. I still remember when my dad got me the magazine way back in 1995 and from then on I simply fell in love with it. I waited for every Tuesday evening after dad got back from work to grab on to my favourite comic strips (which included Marvin, Blondie, Hi and Lois, Archie, Hagar, Beetle Bailey and a bunch of others), those short fiction columns, awesome posters, classic cover stories, Sanjeev Kappor (of the Khana Khazana fame) columns, word puzzles, Stampaid by Uncle Malik, music countdowns and what not! Call me childish, but I would always make sure I wouldn’t end up reading everything in a single day and would carry on till Monday evening and get ready for Tuesday. Oh those days bring in such warm memories and truly wish I could go back in time.

This time when I got back to Bahrain, I must have gone to every single store in the island in search of the magazine, though in vain. I thought they must have stopped their sale in the country but ultimately a few day back I heard (via facebook) they halted the publication altogether which is why I was prompted to write something about this incredible journal which I am sure has been cherished by millions of children for the past 25 years or so.

After a dig into my old treasures, I caught hold of a few old copies dating back to 1999. These are a few snaps. (Apologies for the terrible flaw in my shots)


2 comments:

Magali Vaz said...

Hey Darsh. I cam & read this but sorry I didn't comment earlier. I have a few kiddy mags like that which I loved when I was growing up. Anyway, why no post for so long?

Shivani Singh said...

oops i had given up on posting a comment when suddenly i have it for me to blabber on so now ignore the mail only that can't post part.Found ur blog real cute and started thinking of my fav ones...mmm there was something called Illustrated Weekly in English and a mag called Dharmyug in Hindi both of which are extinct now...sad no pics i can share.Great visiting urs though :)